Leave your personal message here. All visitors will be able to read it.
If you prefer to contact Kees Helder personally, please use the e-mail page.
This ship was the most beautiful ship ever built. She was notorious for finding bad weather - I joined on Jan 2 at Dingle Oil Terminal, Liverpool - and we took the pilot to Trinidad. On another occasion, north of the Azores while crossing from Rotterdam to Curacao in ballast, we altered course to assist a Danish ship which had lost eight men over the side. When we came to haul back on course, she was thrown onto her starboard side by more than 90 degrees, dipping the bridge wing lookout man under solid water; the deck boy on the wheel appeared to be making love to it and both the coir runner across the wheel house fore end and the helmsman's grating disappeared through the lee door and are presumably still wandering the Atlantic. On another occasion we went from Rotterdam to Stockholm. The barometer was falling fast and we were the last ship to transit the Kiel Canal for a week. In the Baltic, we collected two to three feet of ice on the upper decks, and then became the first ship to transit the Keil Canal after the closure. In the Elbe, we saw a four thousand ton or thereabouts cargo ship sitting in a field about fifty yards away from a farmhouse. She had missed the channel in the flood caused by the storm, during which, Hamburg had three metres of flood, many navigation marks had been swept away, etc, and our barometer had jammed against the bottom stop. The hurricane we passed through off Cuba during the missile crisis was nothing in comparison. She was built of very soft steel, and always had a crack in the sheer strake on the starboard side just abaft the after midships fashion plate, and generally after a week or two out of drydock her forward bulwarks would be more or less flat until the next drydock. Her engines were semi-automatic from Brown Boverei and ran faultlessly week after week. We assumed the charter assigned to the Harold Maersk after she suffered an explosion in her engine room and did three months on the Lake run - Maracaibo to Curacao - setting the then record discharge time for Butinized Paconsib Crude of twelve hours twenty two minutes from 'Finished With Engines' to 'Standby' for departure because the main pumps were so efficient we could drain tanks with them She had the first submerged log in the Anglo Sax. fleet, and this, luxury of luxuries, recorded the speed as well as the distance steamed. She also had a knack of injuring people. We once signed a crew on in Thameshaven and a deck boy slipped down the after companionway to the sailor's accommodation, fracturing his hip. While the pumpman and the donkeyman were hoisting his stretcher up the gangway to the ambulance, (the jetty was about ten feet higher than the deck at the time) the Mate kept shouting "Mind the derrick. Mind your heads on the derrick." He followed them up, still shouting advice they really did not need, and broke his nose on the derrick.
Acavus was one of those magic ships, always happy, always ready to surprise, always very efficient and a delight to the eye.
- Goedgeluk Bj: de Vasum 1957 Khasiella 58 Cinulia 59 Amaea 61 vit..
- Henry Edmunds: Hello Glyn Howell. Though I wasn't shipmates with ..
- Tony O'Brien: Hello,
History note: I have a postcard from Joh..
- Michiel Tom: Looking for infomation about one of the life boats..
- Gillis Van Der Linden: Wie kan mij helpen aan de namen van de bemanning d..
- Gillis Van Der Linden: Can I ride de list off de crew from de Vitrea off ..
- Alan Briggs:
Great first trip to sea on the Hemifusus 1959..
- Glenn Mellonius: !!! Great internet site !!! Very well done Kees H..
- Bob Strick: I came from Union Castle passenger ships to STUK w..
- Bob Strick: Stood by building in Odense for 2 months in the lo..
- Diane Earl: Were you on Hemicardium in June 1965?
- Barney Boylan (1): Hi to all my fellow crew members on MV Amastra 49 ..
- Frans Willemse: In 1965 a promotion movie was made by Dutch Shellt..
- Joop Van Den Berg: My father was the 4th engineer on board of the Let..
- Erne Barr: Hi lads, l sailed on the Megara in 1970, joined in..
- Mick Cardiff: Ahoy shipmates, Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd is on Faceb..
- Hennie Petersen: Hello. I am a collector and in search for launchin..
- James Mc Evoy: taking a trip down memory lane..
- John Frearson: Looking for any ship mates who saled on the Vercon..
- Bep De Man: Hallo,ik ben Bep de Man,en ik heb bij Shell tanker..
- Bob: In the early 1960's, I was a teenager living on th..
- Maurice Halton: Joined the San Gaspar in Wallsend circa 1961 as 1s..
- Capt. John Peter Briand: Message to Bernard Reynolds.
Sorry to read of y..
- Eduard Van Helden: Happy New Year everyone and all th best...
- Glyn Howell: Happy New Year Everyone. I served on Velutina, Nan..
- Brian Lindo: Wishing you all a Merry Festive Season and the ver..
- Mick Cardiff: Merry Christmas shipmates..
IT'S ALL KICKING OFF ..
- Stewart Mulvenna: Hello Paul Ayers ,I remember you very well.l think..
- P.j.m. Van Der Ende: I wish you a merry christmass and a happy newyear
- Mick Cardiff: Merry Christmas shipmates. Don't forget you can al..
- Paul Ayers: Stewart Mulvenna did you sail as chief cook,I thin..
- Roger Duke: SS Helcion SS Vermetus SS Hinea Apprentice Engine..
- Duurt Beukema: i was radio officer on the ships
- Jan Mensert: When getting older, you think more about the past...
- Stewart Mulvenna: Joined Hemisinus in April 72 and was their until A..
- Tom Edgar: Niso (1944) Navicella, Neocardia, Empire Mc Mahon,..
- Brian Lindo: Are you looking for your old Shipmates, do you wan..
- Ton Zuidema: Hello, i sailed as OS and AB in1967 till 1969 on t..
- Trevor Harris: I too sailed with Mike Harding on this trip really..
- Linda Wright: Doe's anybody remember Gordon Edwin Grinton..
- Vic Evans: Hi everyone,
Was a 5th Engineer on HYDATINA 1971/..
- Leonard Fox: I served on Amoria(1) out of Singapore in 1968 and..
- William Hoey: I was on various shell tankers but my favourite on..
- Brian Lindo: You have seen the ships on this excellent site Hel..
- Mick Cardiff: Hi, guys, come and join us on Facebook. Shell Tank..
- Robert Donoghue: G'day all, I was on SS Hemiplecta 1961 - 1963.
- Gordon Gill: A great site listing all the ships. My short caree..
- Nick Mcvey: Hello. My father Gerald Mcvey and he was in the me..
- Gijs Van Der Starre: Dear visitors, I was a 5th engineer on the tts "Ka..
- Souhabi Djamel Eddine: hello,
I want information about attack of PETRO..