Leave your personal message here. All visitors will be able to read it.
If you prefer to contact Kees Helder personally, please use the e-mail page.
ss ARCA under friendly fire leaving Camranh.
the 19th of november 1969 the Arca sailed from Punta Cardon via Durban (for bunkers) bound for Pulau Bukum.
We arrived just after X-mas 1969.
The New Year we celebrated discharging JP4 anchored in the bay at Da Nang.
The first week of 1970 we spent in Qui Nhom, Nha Trang and Camranh.
Finished discharging at Camranh we sailed for Pulau Bukum. The master did not bother to much with formalities.
He probably just sailed away in the morning hours.
Our captain, Piet Sandee (better known as dirty Piet) was a bit like that.
A small patrol vessel went after us, trying to make us stop.
At first by means of the old Aldis lamp, signalling at a speed no one could read.
Captain Piet still did not bother to much and just slammed the engine telegraph full ahead. Thus rapidly increasing the disctance between us.
The weather was nice and sunny, the ARCA in ballast had no difficulty with the moderate swell.
With Singapore as the next port of call life could not be better.
Master, mates and sparks had some fun and did not have a clou. Our adversaries were very determent however.
They fired a few shots acros the ARCA's bow, their gunnery suddenly made sense.
The game was over, the battle lost and "dirty Piet" surrendered.
If on board at the time and if you remember any particulars of this incident please do contact me.
then acting as radioofficer
- Goedgeluk Bj: 18 years remaining on the Khasiella, we need to ea..
- Goedgeluk Bj: de Vasum 1957 Khasiella 58 Cinulia 59 Amaea 61 vit..
- Henry Edmunds: Hello Glyn Howell. Though I wasn't shipmates with ..
- Tony O'Brien: Hello,
History note: I have a postcard from Joh..
- Michiel Tom: Looking for infomation about one of the life boats..
- Gillis Van Der Linden: Wie kan mij helpen aan de namen van de bemanning d..
- Gillis Van Der Linden: Can I ride de list off de crew from de Vitrea off ..
- Alan Briggs:
Great first trip to sea on the Hemifusus 1959..
- Glenn Mellonius: !!! Great internet site !!! Very well done Kees H..
- Bob Strick: I came from Union Castle passenger ships to STUK w..
- Bob Strick: Stood by building in Odense for 2 months in the lo..
- Diane Earl: Were you on Hemicardium in June 1965?
- Barney Boylan (1): Hi to all my fellow crew members on MV Amastra 49 ..
- Frans Willemse: In 1965 a promotion movie was made by Dutch Shellt..
- Joop Van Den Berg: My father was the 4th engineer on board of the Let..
- Erne Barr: Hi lads, l sailed on the Megara in 1970, joined in..
- Mick Cardiff: Ahoy shipmates, Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd is on Faceb..
- Hennie Petersen: Hello. I am a collector and in search for launchin..
- James Mc Evoy: taking a trip down memory lane..
- John Frearson: Looking for any ship mates who saled on the Vercon..
- Bep De Man: Hallo,ik ben Bep de Man,en ik heb bij Shell tanker..
- Bob: In the early 1960's, I was a teenager living on th..
- Maurice Halton: Joined the San Gaspar in Wallsend circa 1961 as 1s..
- Capt. John Peter Briand: Message to Bernard Reynolds.
Sorry to read of y..
- Eduard Van Helden: Happy New Year everyone and all th best...
- Glyn Howell: Happy New Year Everyone. I served on Velutina, Nan..
- Brian Lindo: Wishing you all a Merry Festive Season and the ver..
- Mick Cardiff: Merry Christmas shipmates..
IT'S ALL KICKING OFF ..
- Stewart Mulvenna: Hello Paul Ayers ,I remember you very well.l think..
- P.j.m. Van Der Ende: I wish you a merry christmass and a happy newyear
- Mick Cardiff: Merry Christmas shipmates. Don't forget you can al..
- Paul Ayers: Stewart Mulvenna did you sail as chief cook,I thin..
- Roger Duke: SS Helcion SS Vermetus SS Hinea Apprentice Engine..
- Duurt Beukema: i was radio officer on the ships
- Jan Mensert: When getting older, you think more about the past...
- Stewart Mulvenna: Joined Hemisinus in April 72 and was their until A..
- Tom Edgar: Niso (1944) Navicella, Neocardia, Empire Mc Mahon,..
- Brian Lindo: Are you looking for your old Shipmates, do you wan..
- Ton Zuidema: Hello, i sailed as OS and AB in1967 till 1969 on t..
- Trevor Harris: I too sailed with Mike Harding on this trip really..
- Linda Wright: Doe's anybody remember Gordon Edwin Grinton..
- Vic Evans: Hi everyone,
Was a 5th Engineer on HYDATINA 1971/..
- Leonard Fox: I served on Amoria(1) out of Singapore in 1968 and..
- William Hoey: I was on various shell tankers but my favourite on..
- Brian Lindo: You have seen the ships on this excellent site Hel..
- Mick Cardiff: Hi, guys, come and join us on Facebook. Shell Tank..
- Robert Donoghue: G'day all, I was on SS Hemiplecta 1961 - 1963.
- Gordon Gill: A great site listing all the ships. My short caree..
- Nick Mcvey: Hello. My father Gerald Mcvey and he was in the me..
- Gijs Van Der Starre: Dear visitors, I was a 5th engineer on the tts "Ka..