- Name: Ben Johnson
- Imo number: 5040471
- Year of construction: 1938
- Discarded in: 1964
- Status: Sailing / Sailed for Shell-Mex & BP
- Class: Coastal tanker
- Tonnage: 228
- Yard: Rowhedge Ironworks Colchester UK
- Construction number: 561
- Flag: Great Britain
- Callsign: MMSZ
- Owner: Shell Mex & BP Ltd. UK
- Extra information: Launched on 17-3-1938 by Mrs Geoffrey R Dixon, on behalf of the National Benzole Co Ltd- presumably Mr. Johnson was an unmarried director. Completed 1938 as Ben Johnson for National Benzole Comp. 1942-1947 by the Admiralty as a Water Carrier. 1958 sold to Shell-Mex & BP. 1964 sold to Katsoulakos Piraeus and renamed Varkiza. 1966 re-engined. 1976 sold to Aristos Kaisis Limassol and renamed Zeus. 1982 sold to Konitas Navigation Limassol for demolition.
Last modification: Saturday 4th February 2017 at 13:40:55
Do you have great stories, interesting adventures or spectacular events you enjoyed at the 'Ben Johnson'? Feel free to write an anecdote and share it with our other visitors.
Picture(s) of the Shell Tanker 'Ben Johnson'
Shipmates on the Shell Tanker 'Ben Johnson'
Add yourself to the 'Ben Johnson'
Let others know you worked at the 'Ben Johnson' and find old friends.
Do you have more information about or pictures of the 'Ben Johnson' (or any other) Shell tanker?
Please do e-mail me!