- Name: Ohio (1)
- Imo number: 2239732
- Year of construction: 1940
- Discarded in: 1946
- Status: Sailing / Sailed for The Eagle Tanker Company
- Class: Chemical / Oil Product Tanker
- Tonnage: 9.265
- Yard: Sun Shipbuilding Chester US
- Construction number: 190
- Flag: Great Britain
- Callsign: ..
- Owner: The Eagle Tanker Company Ltd
- Extra information: Completed 1940 as Ohia for Texas Oil Company. 1942 to Ministry of War Transport UK and managed by Eagle Oil. 1946 sunk. The tanker Ohio played a fundametal role in Operation Pedestal, which was one of the fiercest and most heavily contested of the Malta Convoys in August 1942. She reached Malta successfully. She was badly damaged by torpedoes of Italian submarine. The ship broke in two after offload here cargo. In 1946 the two halves of the Ohio were towed ten miles offshore and scuttled by gunfire.
Last modification: Tuesday 14th April 2015 at 13:35:47
Do you have great stories, interesting adventures or spectacular events you enjoyed at the 'Ohio (1)'? Feel free to write an anecdote and share it with our other visitors.
Picture(s) of the Shell Tanker 'Ohio (1)'
Shipmates on the Shell Tanker 'Ohio (1)'
There are no sailors yet. Be the first and add your name!
Add yourself to the 'Ohio (1)'
Let others know you worked at the 'Ohio (1)' and find old friends.
Do you have more information about or pictures of the 'Ohio (1)' (or any other) Shell tanker?
Please do e-mail me!