- Name: Ondina (1)
- Imo number: 5613986
- Year of construction: 1939
- Discarded in: 1959
- Status: Sailing / Sailed for Shell Tankers Rotterdam / La Corona / C.S.M. / N.I.T.
- Class: E and O class 9.200 ton
- Tonnage: 9.070
- Yard: Nederlandsche Dok Maatschappij Amsterdam Holland
- Construction number: 71
- Flag: Netherlands
- Callsign: PGNC
- Owner: LA CORONA / Petroleum Maatschappij La Corona
- Extra information: Completed 1939 as Ondina for La Corona. Survived on 11-11-1942 two attacks of Japanese raiders Hokohu Maru and Aikoku Maru in Indian Ocean, 500 miles off Sunda Straits. Voyage Abadan to Freemantle. The tanker was escorted by the Dutch mine sweeper Bengal. The raiders had previously intercepted Genota and seized and escorted her to Singapore. At the 6th gun shell one of the raiders was hit and escaped but a shell hit the tanker and killed the master and several persons on the bridge. While the crew was leaving the tanker and embarked in the life boats, one of the raiders launched 2 torpedoes which hit Omala on starboard side. At the same time the raiders shot the crew killing the chief engineer and several crew members wounding several of them who jump into the water, two Chinese sailors being killed by the surrounding sharks. Since Ondina remained afloat, the chief officer decided reboarding. The crew succeeded to blow out the existing fire and restart the engine. 20 days later Ondina entered Fremantle harbour where she was repaired. She returned in service. 20-2-1959 arrived Hong Kong for scrap.
Last modification: Monday 24th October 2016 at 15:47:50
Do you have great stories, interesting adventures or spectacular events you enjoyed at the 'Ondina (1)'? Feel free to write an anecdote and share it with our other visitors.
Picture(s) of the Shell Tanker 'Ondina (1)'
Shipmates on the Shell Tanker 'Ondina (1)'
Add yourself to the 'Ondina (1)'
Let others know you worked at the 'Ondina (1)' and find old friends.
Do you have more information about or pictures of the 'Ondina (1)' (or any other) Shell tanker?
Please do e-mail me!